Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Side-Kicked By Russell Brettholtz and Miguel Mendonca










Title: Side-Kicked
Author: Russell Brettholtz (Author), Miguel Mendonca (Author, Illustrator)
Release:Oct 29, 2015
Rating:★ ★ ★ 1/2
Pages: 96
Format: Graphic Novel
Where to find it: Amazon
Series: No

Summary: It should come as no surprise to learn that within the superhero "community," egos run rampant. But how does all that free-flowing narcissism impact those just outside the spotlight? Chicago finds out when five of the city's most loyal Sidekicks finally grow tired of being disrespected by both the prima donnas they work with and the citizenry they strive to protect. And it's not like the Windy City needs yet another labor upheaval ...

Side-Kicked is a refreshing new take on a superhero comic, where a city full of super heroes have let their fame and power go to their heads.  To the point their sidekicks  feel like unappreciated minimum wage fast food employees.  I correlation used in the story, in facts.  It all comes to a head when one day the sidekicks decided to strike back! As in strike!  


When a story like this, I was afraid I would find a lot of corny, campy things in this book.  What I found was a story that had fun teaching your lessons on the importance of respecting the people you work with/ help you, and to stand up for yourself.  All mixed in a fun comic book package.


Sure there is the side-eye to Superman, Batman, and Flash type heroes (along with others like Jameson from Spider Man) but that didn’t over shadow the story or the main characters - the sidekicks!


The are work was colorful and one of the better ones I have seen in an independent comic. The story was at a perfect pacing, another thing I sometimes have trouble with in independent comics.

However, as much as I liked this, Netgalley (who gave me a copy for an honest review), rated this as a “children's” comic, and I disagree.  First , for the parts with a suicide trigger.  No one kills themselves in this book, but right from the first page, there is a scene that might not be right for younger people.   Also, there are some social issues I just don’t think children would get. I also, would I liked to see more women in this story.  For sidekicks (the man focus of the story) they were in the background, not even in a named roll. 

Over all this is a good comic, and a quick read I would suggest you try.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment